Skip To Content
Leeds County School Information
Information on Historical Schools in Leeds County.

This table shows the current and past schools/schoolhouses in the Leeds area. The table contains the following information: the school name; location/township; closing date; location students went to after the school/schoolhouse closed. Schools that include a historic photograph are underlined. Click the underlined school name to see the photograph. To see the complete collection of photos, please look through the gallery listed on the sidebar.

All photos were taken from Leeds and the Thousand Islands Archives, which we invite interested viewers to explore here

Legend-Leeds

  • N-North
  • S-South
  • E-East
  • W-West
  • Twp.-Township
  • Bd.-Board
  • S.S. No.-School Section Number
  • Brockville
  • Mallorytown
  • Rideau Lakes
  • Front of Escott
  • ElizabethtownKitley Township
  • Athens


SCHOOL NAME

LOCATION/ TOWNSHIP

CLOSING DATE

WHERE STUDENTS WENT

Caintown Public School

Caintown

1964

Lyn Public School

Caintown S.S. #7

Caintown

1959

Lyn Public School

East Ward/Douglas Haig (was John Knox Montessori School at the end)

Corner of Pearl and Bartholomew

First East Ward School, then Douglas Haig School

John Knox Christian School, finally Montessori School


Pearl St. E

Brockville

1999 (torn down)

1950-closed

Commonwealth Public School

North Ward

Brockville

Prince of Wales Public School (after 1881)

South Ward

Brockville

Prince of Wales Public School (after 1881)

Centre Ward

Brockville

Prince of Wales Public School (after 1881)

Front of Yonge S.S. #4

Front of Yonge

1920

Front of Yonge Public School

James Street School

James St.

Brockville

Prince of Wales Public School (after 1881)

Purvis Street School (S.S. No. 8 Front of Yonge)

West of Lyn


Near Tollgate Rd. on Perth Rd. (new brick school on chemical Rd.)

June 29, 1967

Caintown School (until Mallorytown school was built)


Front of Yonge Public School

Rock School

George and Perth St.

1405 McDonald Rd.

Hwy 2 West of Brockville, West of Oakland Cemetery


1
st: West of present site


Before: Bank of Grant’s creek

Lyn Public School

Victoria School

Wall St.

Brockville

1973

General Brock School


Prince of Wales Public School

(Until Vanier Public School was completed)

Horton School

James St. East at Victoria

Brockville

1950

Commonwealth Public School

General Brock School

George and Clarrisa St.

Brockville

1983-demolished

1976-closed

Prince of Wales Public School

Windsor School

Stewart Blvd.

Brockville

Was later used for special-education purposes and moved

Dates unknown; registers up to 1978

Vanier Public School

Toniata Public School

Lyn Tincap

Lyn-Tincap

2001

Lyn Public School

Lyn Tincap Public School

Lyn-Tincap

1994

Lyn Public School

Lyn/Tincap School Complex

Lyn-Tincap

1993

Lyn Public School

Lyn-Tincap Public School

Lyn-Tincap

1978

Lyn Public School

S.S. No. 7 Lyn School

Centre of village by creek; west end of village

Lyn Public School (after 1956)

Tincap

Tincap

1972

Lyn Public School

Yonge Elementary

Front of Yonge

1969

Front of Yonge Public School

Mallorytown

Mallorytown

1969

Front of Yonge Public School

Mallorytown Consolidated

Mallorytown

1929

Front of Yonge Public School (after 1968)

Mallorytown Continuation

Mallorytown

1957

Brockville Collegiate Institute

Malloy S.S. #11

1969

Front of Yonge Public School

Rideau Centennial Public School (after 1963)

Rideau Lakes
ON K0G1V0

 

 

Central School (Smiths Falls), Recreation Centre

79 Beckwith Street North, Smiths Falls, K7A

Common and Grammar Schools combined on property

1973

Chimo Elementary School

Chimo Senior Elementary School

Smiths Falls

1995

Chimo Elementary School

S.S. No. 5 Elgin Public School

Elgin

1967

South Crosby Public School

Elgin and Central

Elgin

1939

Rideau Centennial Public School (after 1963)

S.S. No. 5 Elgin Public School (Red Brick School)

48, Halladay Street, Village of Elgin, Ontario, K0G, Canada

1964

South Crosby Public School

Elgin/Lyndhurst Continuation School

Elgin/Lyndhurst

1939

Rideau District High School (after 1960)

Lyndhurst School

Lyndhurst

 

Sweets Corners Elementary School (after 1973)

Lyndhurst Continuation School (High School/Collegiate Institute)

Lyndhurst

1957

Athens District High School

Long Point School

Long point Rd.

Lyndhurst

 

Sweets Corners Public School (after 1973)

S.S. No. 7 Forfor

Village of Forfar

Twp. of Bastard

1967

South Crosby Public School

S.S. No. 8 Harlem

Harlem Rd. near Chantry

1967

South Crosby Public School

Harper-Condie

Near Harper-Condie Rd. Smiths Falls

1976

Chimo Elementary School

Johnston Public School (Smiths Falls)

Smiths Falls

1949

North Elmsley Public School (after 1964)